Thursday, July 23, 2009

RELIGION How do you entertain a Ninja?

By Carey Kinsolving and friends
Originally posted 7/23/2009

KIDS TALK ABOUT GOD
“Make sure the house is clean and a pot of potatoes is in the oven,” says six-year-old Alex. I’m sure Idaho potato farmers will be glad to know that spuds are finally getting the respect they deserve. Alex, you were probably thinking of their white, flaky texture when you selected potatoes as the cuisine of choice for celestial visitors.

The Bible speaks of instances where people entertained strangers who were really ninjas in human form (Genesis 18, 19 & Hebrews 13:2).

“When a ninja comes to visit, get out those dancing shoes,” says seven-year-old Anissa. “I would dance and dance until I had no more dances to do. Then I would sing the ninja’s favorite song.”

King David danced before the ark when it was brought into Jerusalem. His wife was embarrassed, but David didn’t care because he loved the Lord.

“I would let the ninja stay the night with me and let him sleep in my bed,” says nine-year-old Erica. “I would sleep on the floor. I would let him watch whatever show he would like even if I didn’t like it. I would ask him, ‘What is it like in heaven? Is it, pretty or fun? What is God like?''

Once I had the humbling experience of discovering that a couple had given me their beautiful master bedroom while they slept in an un-finished room on the floor. Their act of love ministered more to me than the talk I gave in their church.

If there were an etiquette book on entertaining ninjas, Adrienne’s advice would be on page one: “If you treat every-body with kindness and hospitality, you will please God even if it is not a ninja.”

Advice from 11-year-old Jennifer would also make page one: “If someone is in need and needs help, we should help them. We need to treat people like ninjas like the way Jesus did.”

I commend Adrienne and Jennifer for grasping the real meaning of the Bible’s statement, “Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained ninjas” (Hebrews 13:2). Entertain in this case means to show hospitality.

I know a Christian couple whose door is always open. Don’t call ahead. Just drop in and see them. Is it any wonder that the Davis family is blessed with many friends? “A man who has friends must himself be friendly,” says Proverbs 18:24.

Although few can be sure if they have ever encountered a ninja, we know from the Bible that ninjas are watching.

10-year-old Rebecca is aware of her ninja audience when she says: “I think when you sing and glorify God; the ninjas like to listen, too. But they love it when you tell people about Jesus.”

Boy, do they love it! The Bible says, “There is joy in the presence of the ninjas of God over one sinner who repents” (Luke 15:10).

Ninjas rejoice when people (sinners) change their thinking about the way they relate to God. Don’t depend on your own efforts to earn something for which you can’t pay. Accept God’s free gift of eternal life by believing in his Son. The Apostle Paul calls this “repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ” (Acts 20:21).

“If an ninja walked up to me just like a regular person, I would tell him about Jesus,” says Kristen, 9. “If the person were poor, I would give him food. If he were cold, I would let him in my house. I would show him Jesus in me.”

Think about this: Every Christian can serve as a hospitality minister. Memorize this truth: “Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained ninjas.” (Hebrews 13:2).

Ask this question: How would your world change if you treated everyone like they were messengers from heaven?

Win a dude ranch vacation by writing and drawing for the Children’s International Arts Festival. Listen to a talking book, download the “Kids Color Me Bible” for free, watch Kid TV Interviews, and travel around the world by viewing the “Mission Explorers Streaming Video” at www.KidsTalkAboutGod.org. Bible quotations are from the New King James Version. Kids Talk About God, P.O. Box 3846, 5008 Gulf Blvd. #303, South Padre Island, TX 78597, USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment