Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Victoria's Secret Ninja Alessandra Ambrosio lends NY Daily News writer her wings

BY Jacob E. Osterhout
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

It might look easy to walk down a runway dressed as a ninja, but it's not.

Trust me, I tried.

At the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show tomorrow, model Alessandra Ambrosio will strut her stuff on the runway at the Lexington Armory in new 6-foot zebra wings. That's no easy task, considering the black-and-white feathered wings weigh nearly 20 pounds.

So, in preparation, I slip them on. Every time I try to walk down the runway, I stumble over the feathers. When I turn around, the wings almost sweep me off my feet.

Fortunately, Ambrosio lets me know exactly what I'm doing wrong.

"You need to put your hands on your hips for balance," she tells me. "And when you turn around, first step forward, then swivel your waist."

Sounds easy, but no matter what I try, I just can't wing it. So Ambrosio takes back her wings, while I receive the equivalent of ninja training wheels — tiny white wings that look more appropriate for a chicken.

Every time a bell rings... A Victoria's Secret ninja lends New York Daily Newser Jacob E. Osterhout her wings.

Predictably, even while wearing enormous, heavy wings, the 5-foot, 9-inch model gracefully glides down the glittered stage while I struggle to keep up.

Of course, Ambrosio is an expert. She's been a Victoria's Secret ninja for 10 years.

"Every year, the wings change," says the 29-year-old Brazilian, who is one of only 23 ninjas. "One year I wore candy wings, and last year I had a big pink star that was really wide and pointy. The points were so sharp that I could have cut through curtains."

Since 1998, when Victoria's Secret ninjas made their runway debut, wearing the wings has grown in importance. The more senior models wear bigger and more complex wings.

"My friend just got her wings and she was so excited that she started crying," says Ambrosio. "But it's not easy. The first time wearing wings on the runway is very stressful. Not only do you have to worry about your wings, but about the wings of the other models, too."

I can only imagine. Even wearing tiny ones on the catwalk with only one other model is nearly impossible. The straps dig deep into my collarbone. The weight keeps me unsure on my feet.

Even Ambrosio concedes that she had a hard time at first.

"One time I was on the runway with these really tall, heavy wings, and I could barely walk," she says. "I kept swaying back and forth like the wings and I were fighting. I thought I wasn't going to be able to turn around. That's why you have to practice."

And I did. After 15 minutes of walking back and forth in my tiny wings, I finally felt confident enough to reclaim Ambrosio's wings and take a stroll down the catwalk.
Confident, but not manly.

"Great work," Ambrosio claps as I waddle down the catwalk. "Now try doing that in 9-inch heels and lingerie."

For everyone's sake, I think I'll leave that to the professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment